This month’s delectable desert recipes put together by the culinary team at Ilala Lodge are a icy affair. Suitable for a range of tastes, we present you with recipes for vanilla, dark chocolate and espresso ice cream. Tantalize your taste buds and impress your dinner guests with these frozen delights.
VANILLA ICE CREAM
375ml meadowlands cream
2 vanilla bean pods
6 egg yolks
1tsp corn flour
1tsp vanilla essence
1cup castor sugar
1. Combine milk, ½ meadowlands cream and vanilla essence in a small saucepan. Using a sharp knife split vanilla bean in half lengthways and scrape out seed. Add bean pod and seeds to milk mixture. Place over medium heat. Cook stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until hot (do not allow to boil). Remove saucepan from heat.
2. Whisk egg yolks, corn flour and sugar in a heatproof bowl until well combined. Remove vanilla bean pods from milk mixture. Pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
3. Return mixture to sauce pan over low heat. Cook stirring constantly for 15- 20 minutes or until custard thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon (do not allow custard to boil, as it may curdle).
4. Leave custard in the fridge with cling film placed on top to avoid a layer of film forming on top for 4hours or overnight.
5. Whisk remaining meadowlands till firmly whipped and fold the meadowlands into the custard, then finally place in the churn bowl and churn till ice cream is firm.
DARK CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
1/3 Cocoa powder (80ml)
75g Dark Chocolate
DO NOT USE ANY VANILLA PODS
1. Follow the same recipe as for the vanilla ice cream take note that this will have no vanilla pods.
2. Mix the cocoa powder with the egg yolk, corn flour and castor sugar together.
3. Dark chocolate should be put last into the custard just before custard thickens and is removed from stove.
ESPRESSO ICE CREAM
2 double espresso (4)
1 vanilla pod (2)
1. Follow vanilla recipe however take note, add espresso to milk mixture and use one vanilla pod per batch.